File a Complaint or Commendation




Understanding the Complaint Process

Citizen reporting of crime, misconduct and excellent conduct is not only good citizenship but essential to our public safety. Complaints can be filed anonymously. Any complaint or commendation is subject to a public records request after the investigation is complete. If you have open criminal charges, we strongly recommend you discuss the possibliity of filing a complaint with your attorney. There are many ways to file a complaint! You can file a complaint with the OIPM :

  • In person – Schedule an appointment by calling (504) 309-9799, then come to our office at:
    2714 Canal Street, Suite 201. Walk-ins are also welcome
  • On Facebook or Twitter
  • Via Email –
  • By Phone – Call the IPM HOTLINE (504) 309 – 9799
  • On this Website – Fill out the Complaint Form or Commendation Form.
  • At one of our Remote Intake Sites, listed below


  • Check our calendar of community events for complaint intakes in your area!You may also file a complaint by contacting the NOPD’s Public Integrity Bureau in writing, by phone or in person at 118 N. Rocheblave New Orleans LA 70119 (504) 658-5800.
  • If it’s a matter of a criminal offense by a police officer, you may also contact any of the following:
    • The Orleans Parish District attorney – (504) 822-2141
    • The Federal Bureau of Investigations – (504) 816-300
    • The US Attorney – (504) 680-3000


NOPD Complaint Procedure 

Accountability breeds response-ability.

― Stephen R. Covey