Change Text Size:




The Independent Police Monitor is a division of the New Orleans Office of Inspector General (OIG). The The mission of the Office of Inspector General is to prevent and detect fraud and abuse and to promote efficiency and effectiveness in the programs and operations of the City of New Orleans. To report fraud or abuse, visit the IPM website, call (504) 309-9799 or email

Who can file a complaint against an NOPD employee?
Any member of the public can file a complaint!

How can I file a complaint?
You can file a complaint with the Independent Police Monitorin the following ways:
  • Call the Independent Police Monitor HOTLINE at (504) 309-9799
  • Send an email to
  • Make an appointment by calling (504) 309-9799 to meet at our office:
    • Walk-in without an appointment any time between the hours of 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays at our office.
  • Mail your complaint to the office address, stated above.
  • On Facebook  
You can also file complaints with the NOPD Public Integrity Bureau (NOPD PIB) by phone, by  mail or in person at
118 North Rocheblave St., New Orleans, LA 70119 - (504) 658-6800.

For complaints of criminal activity only you can file with:
District Attorney’s Office
(504) 822-2414

Federal Bureau of Investigation
(504) 816-3000

United States Attorney’s Office
(504) 680-3000

What kinds of complaints does the Independent Police Monitor accept?
The Independent Police Monitor receives complaints that allege misconduct by an individual police officer or officers acting in their own discretion, including, but not limited to:
• Use of Excessive Force
• Theft
• Retaliation for filing a complaint with the NOPD or the Independent Police Monitor
• Failure to Supervise
• Falsification of Records
• Inappropriate Language or Attitude
• Harassment
• Discrimination in the provision of police services or other discriminatory conduct on the basis of race, colors, creed, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation
• Abuse of authority, such as unlawful searches and seizures, premises entered and searched, no warrant, threats to notify child services, threats to damage property, refusal to take complaint, refusal to identify themselves; damages to property seized

Can I compliment an NOPD employee?
Yes. You can file a commendation for an employee in writing, by telephone, via fax, on-line, or by visiting our office in person. You could also file a commendation with the NOPD Public Integrity Bureau or with the employee’s supervisor.

What happens when I file a complaint with the Independent Police Monitor?
The Independent Police Monitor refers the complaint immediately to the NOPD Public Integrity Bureau (PIB), the bureau that investigates allegations of misconduct by police. The PIB handles referrals from the Independent Police Monitor in the same way that it handles complaints filed directly with the NOPD. The Independent Police Monitor maintains an independent record of your information in its own database.

Who conducts the investigation of the complaint?
Regardless of whether the complaint is filed with the Independent Police Monito ror the NOPD, the NOPD PIB always conducts the investigation and the Independent Police Monitor monitors it.

How does the Independent Police Monitor monitor the investigation?
The Independent Police Monitor first reviews how the NOPD PIB classifies the complaint. The classification determines how thorough an investigation the complaint will receive.

If Independent Police Monitor thinks the complaint should be more thoroughly investigated, it will recommend that the NOPD PIB change the classification and will make that recommendation public.

When the NOPD PIB investigation is concluded, the Independent Police Monitor reviews the investigation to determine whether it was fair, thorough and timely.

If the Independent Police Monitor finds that the NOPD PIB investigation was not fair, thorough and timely, it will inform the NOPD and will make a public report. You will be given a copy of this report.

Will I know the results of the NOPD PID investigation?
Yes. You will receive periodic written notification from the NOPD PIB as the investigation progresses and of its findings. If you cannot get a response from the NOPD PIB, the Independent Police Monitor can obtain a written status report for you.

What about my confidentiality?
You can file a complaint anonymously, but it will be more difficult to investigate your complaint. Independent Police Monitor public reports will not include identifying information for you or the officers involved. Your privacy will be respected and strictly maintained.

Does the Independent Police Monitor have jurisdiction in Jefferson Parish?
No. The Independent Police Monitor has jurisdiction only in Orleans Parish and only over the NOPD. It does not have jurisdiction over surrounding parishes or the Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Department. However, we will write up and refer your complaint to the appropriate agency. 

Can the Independent Police Monitor get my charges dropped?
The Independent Police Monitor cannot give legal advice or assist with a person's criminal defense.